PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Tube or tubeless

Northwood
04.03.2018, 22:11
Hi there.

I purchased Heidenau K65 tyres front and rear. 100/90-19 and 140/90-15.
I realize the tyres have ridges inside, which can grind the tubes causing a puncture.
Should I seal the rims and go tubeless or should I install tubes?

Sigi
04.03.2018, 23:13
Hi, the Heidenau K65 tubeless usually fit without any further work done to the original rims. At the moment I'm riding the second pair of them mounted without any issues.

Northwood
04.03.2018, 23:34
Hi, the Heidenau K65 tubeless usually fit without any further work done to the original rims. At the moment I'm riding the second pair of them mounted without any issues.
Hi sigi.
Thanks for the answer.
Are you riding with or without tubes?

Cheers,

Billi33
05.03.2018, 02:07
Hi Northwood,

if you have wheels with spokes (like we have) you have to drive with tubes!!!
And dont worry - the ridges inside dont grind the tubes...:smilie_smoke_007:

Cheers Jan

Sigi
05.03.2018, 04:28
Right, without tubes.

Wesch
05.03.2018, 09:28
Hi

Just ask Heidenau directly at info@heidenautires.com

But I am with Jan. Never heard that tubes get damaged by the tires even if they are tubeless type.

Rgds Günther

Northwood
05.03.2018, 10:29
Contradicting advises :D

Billi33, I can seal the rims, no problem.

Wesch, the tyres are TL type
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Heidenau/K65-rear/140-90-15-TL-70H-M-C--Hinterrad/D-M65003

It seems like I have the opportunity to go both ways.
Thank you all.

Billi33
05.03.2018, 10:35
Quote: „... I can seal the rims...“

I do not know the legal situation in Denmark but here you can not drive wheels with spokes without tubing.
You can use tubeless tyres but you have to install tubes!

Greetings from Berlin

Billi33
05.03.2018, 10:53
24174 -> wheel with spokes: tubeless tyre with tube!

24175 -> wheel without spokes: tubeless tyre without tube!

Northwood
05.03.2018, 11:44
I do not know the legal situation in Denmark but here you can not drive wheels with spokes without tubing.

Greetings from Berlin
Hi billi33.
I didnt think of the legal issues. I have to check and will return with the answer. Thank you.
Is it legal for a foreigner to drive tubeless in Germany?

Billi33
05.03.2018, 11:46
If it is legal for you and your bike is allowed in Denmark, you can do it here too!

Jogi
05.03.2018, 12:03
Quote: „... I can seal the rims...“

Greetings from Berlin

That's not correct. "Normally" wheels with spokes need a tube but there are existing some special kind of tubeless spoke wheels, for example BMW for the newer generation.

For the Savage a tube is necessary. I think not only the sealing is a problem but also the form of the rim is different between tubetype and tubeless wheels. I would install a tube anyway.

I have also heard that some tubeless tyres are not useable for tubes because of a rougher inner surface of the tyre. But this could answer only the producer of the tyres.

Northwood
05.03.2018, 12:26
That's not correct. "Normally" wheels with spokes need a tube but there are existing some special kind of tubeless spoke wheels, for example BMW for the newer generation.

For the Savage a tube is necessary. I think not only the sealing is a problem but also the form of the rim is different between tubetype and tubeless wheels. I would install a tube anyway.

I have also heard that some tubeless tyres are not useable for tubes because of a rougher inner surface of the tyre. But this could answer only the producer of the tyres.
Yogi, you are right about the BMW rims. But they are designed tubeless, the nipples are installed outside the rim.

@billi33. It appears illegal here too.
Actually I dont get it.
The difference between a TL and a TT rim is the bulge that keeps the TL tyre to the rim wall. As I understand, the concern is that a TL tyre on a TT rim could collaps in case of a puncture.
But the same thing could happen to a TT tyre on a TT rim if the tube loose air. What is the difference?

Billi33
05.03.2018, 12:35
...But the same thing could happen to a TT tyre on a TT rim if the tube loose air. What is the difference?...

:grin: Dont know..., I use the TL tires with tubes inside for years and nothing has happend!:nonono:
I think the difference is in the immediate pressure loss in tires with tube!

Northwood
05.03.2018, 22:31
:grin: Dont know..., I use the TL tires with tubes inside for years and nothing has happend!:nonono:
I think the difference is in the immediate pressure loss in tires with tube!
I might go for tubes, but I will take the final decision when I remove the old tyres and can inspect the rims.
I will keep you informed :)

Billi33
06.03.2018, 00:14
Great, I'm curious!